Friday, October 1, 2010

it's impossible to be bored at Trenton Atelier

This has been a great couple of weeks for me at the atelier!
Up until recently, I was a little shy about doing my own art in the building, but being known by the guys only for my culinary interests gave me the push i needed to kick my mojo back into gear.
I'm a fire performer, mostly with poi and have experimented with fire eating, fire breathing, and more recently, fire hoop. I have always wanted to use fire fans, but found them to be a bit of an expenditure for a novice..so i decided to make some. With the help of Pete, Bryan, Erik, Lia and Eric, I am learning the processes I need to make my design a reality. I've used a chop saw, a grinder and tonight, a mig welder. I'm so excited to practice these new skills - My fans are on their way - I just need to get a little more comfortable with the welder - and I hope make some interesting sculptures when I get more graceful with the tools.
In the meantime, I have taken a step away from my normal medium of acrylic on medium sized canvas and started using house paint on a piece of plywood, and met some fun people while assisting with an installation.
Learning new things makes every day an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment