Friday, January 31, 2020

pushing out from the floating village

Hours before dawn the tinny speakers started their call. It is my forth day here, and time to head up to Siem Reap , Ankor Wat and see what the #1 tourist destination in Cambodia has to offer.

Realizing now (better late than never) the floating villages are not the structures that my guide Long and his friend motored me out to ,






 but rather all the homes and town that I have been in these last four days.
view from Sunny Beach Homestay

the air wafts with smoldering plastic and other debris. 

They really are this joyous

This is the dry season, soon the roads will be unpassable, but now it just looks like a town on comically tall legs.



But by late summer
 the monsoons will swell the lake and clean water will reach up the steps towards the Standing Buddha.The shacks and cabins will be dismantled and stored until the water recedes.
This entire town will give the appearance of floating , as access is available only by boat or swimming .

I guess I didn't read the fine print before i got here.
and it's cliche but the people I've met here I've been just so friendly and smiley and joyous .Just a wonderful time walking around meeting these people.
Although I post pictures of detritus and plastic pollution and all manner of unsightly there are people working within their own areas keeping them clean and tidy. 
Perhaps I can come with my Western perspective what the ground should look like how things should be also I come with my Western importation or excuse me exploitation of plastic rappers and all manner of convenience.
 I just want to point out that there are people who are keeping the area around themselves very nice and a shout out

There is very little infrastructure or municipal involved, save for an entrance toll fee and a police station that few spoke highly of.



1 comment:

  1. That's great how you explained it all. Yes, we can only see through our foreign eyes, at least for noe.

    ReplyDelete